Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Why I like to knit socks....

I'm entering the contest that Christine is organizing at her Pointy Sticks site. She wants to know what we think about knitting socks and anything related to that.

Why I love to knit socks: I love to knit socks because they are a small enough project that it doesn't take me a long, long time to completed. I also like socks because they can sometimes be almost as complex as some sweater designs I've seen. They are small and portable which makes them great to throw into my purse.

What sock yarn or patterns I love: I like many sock patterns from Knitty. I'm working on a pair of Monkey socks now. And there are the Diamante socks which I'd like to get to this year as well. I really love the patterns in Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks book.

I've been knitting with different sock yarns lately to add to my favorites. My favorite sock yarn is Lorna's Laces. The Monkey socks are being knit with Claudia Hand Painted Yarn and it is very nice too! Ranks up there closely to the Lorna's Laces. I have some other yarns which I've purchased to try out soon.

My favorite sock method is doing two socks on two circulars. I'd like to work it down to only Magic Loop one of these days, but for now, I enjoy two circulars much more than doing one sock in bamboo dpns. I have knit top down only on the dpns, so the Monkey socks will be the first pair top down on two circulars. I've knit one pair toe up on two circs and they were pretty fun. I won't discount that method of short row toes and short row heels....I'm just not sure I'd pick that method to do all the time.

I'll post some pictures of the Monkey socks soon as well as other WIP.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Yeah, Penny, you're back!!
I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. Mom's just can't get sick.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the Monkey socks. They're on my long, long list of socks to knit. I still haven't decided on my next sock but I'm going to use the J. Knits Boston because I've already got it balled up and it's blue.

Can't wait to see pics.